I have been humming and har-ing about whether to weigh daily, weekly, monthly or maybe even never. Apart from the fact that I don't have the best scales around, I really haven't weighed myself at home for at least six months - the number just freaked me out so much last time I haven't been game to get back on.
I know that some people like to weigh in daily, as part of their morning routine. Others like to weigh in same time once a week. I was on a super lo-cal diet about 4 years ago was weighed in by the team leader once a month; measurements were also taken. I liked that idea because there was always a loss, even if it was small. Measurements really don't mean much to me, I would rather have a number and and clothing size.
I was once a slave to the scales. The number that stupid machine presented me with that day dictated my mood. Of course I only used them when I was in full dieting mode, so I could track my last gram and feel better, or worse, about myself. Once I was back to eating whatever I wanted, I avoided them like the plague. I am very fearful of the power they held over me, and I don't want to experience that again.
When my excellent doctor, Dr B, asked what goal weight I had in mind, I told him I would rather get to a place where I just felt 'great' instead of letting a number dictate my life. He thought that was very good way of thinking, but still encouraged me to come up with a number. So I cast my mind back...
I can remember a particular number when I distinctly recall feeling 'great' - 59kg/130lb. So that's my goal. Dr B then proceeded to tell me that the physio I had seen had thought I should be between 66-71kg and that it will be very hard to get to 59kg. But I didn't much like my visit with the physio - he really didn't want to know anything about me except all of my numbers, so I dismissed his thoughts quite quickly. Besides, to be 66-71kg keeps me in the overweight BMI range, and my goal is to be slap bang in the middle of normal. Please. please, I just want to be normal!
So, where am I at right now, two short days before Band Time?
Last time I was weighed was at the Dr B's office about three weeks ago I was 94kg/207lb/BMI 37.2 and I could have cried and cried. But I didn't because I was on the road to doing something positive about it, and this time a) it seems to work, b) the results can be maintained and c) I feel quite a part of a really fabulous support group, even tho' I barely know you.
So, doing the math means I want to lose 35kg or 77lb. I am also going to weigh myself weekly, probably a Friday because that is the day I get home from hospital. In fact, I am off to the shops today to get a u-beaut scale that will be very accurate. I will make a little chart of my progress and stick it on the back of the bathroom door. I will update stats here.
I have read so many great entries in your excellent blogs. So honest, so helpful. Bring it on!!
_____________________________________________________________________________
I have to share my puppy Willow with you. She has just turned eight months and is my favourite thing in the world (my husband knows this). She is a Cavoodle - Poodle x Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, her colouring is called Blenheim. I never thought I would be a 'dog person'. But seriously, I cannot tell you how much I love her. She cracks me up all the time, she has such a personality. This photo is when we got her just a few days before Christmas 09. Have a great day. LJ
Tuesday, July 13, 2010
To Weigh...Or Not
I have been humming and har-ing about whether to weigh daily, weekly, monthly or maybe even never. Apart from the fact that I don't have the best scales around, I really haven't weighed myself at home for at least six months - the number just freaked me out so much last time I haven't been game to get back on.
I know that some people like to weigh in daily, as part of their morning routine. Others like to weigh in same time once a week. I was on a super lo-cal diet about 4 years ago was weighed in by the team leader once a month; measurements were also taken. I liked that idea because there was always a loss, even if it was small. Measurements really don't mean much to me, I would rather have a number and and clothing size.
I was once a slave to the scales. The number that stupid machine presented me with that day dictated my mood. Of course I only used them when I was in full dieting mode, so I could track my last gram and feel better, or worse, about myself. Once I was back to eating whatever I wanted, I avoided them like the plague. I am very fearful of the power they held over me, and I don't want to experience that again.
When my excellent doctor, Dr B, asked what goal weight I had in mind, I told him I would rather get to a place where I just felt 'great' instead of letting a number dictate my life. He thought that was very good way of thinking, but still encouraged me to come up with a number. So I cast my mind back...
I can remember a particular number when I distinctly recall feeling 'great' - 59kg/130lb. So that's my goal. Dr B then proceeded to tell me that the physio I had seen had thought I should be between 66-71kg and that it will be very hard to get to 59kg. But I didn't much like my visit with the physio - he really didn't want to know anything about me except all of my numbers, so I dismissed his thoughts quite quickly. Besides, to be 66-71kg keeps me in the overweight BMI range, and my goal is to be slap bang in the middle of normal. Please. please, I just want to be normal!
So, where am I at right now, two short days before Band Time?
Last time I was weighed was at the Dr B's office about three weeks ago I was 94kg/207lb/BMI 37.2 and I could have cried and cried. But I didn't because I was on the road to doing something positive about it, and this time a) it seems to work, b) the results can be maintained and c) I feel quite a part of a really fabulous support group, even tho' I barely know you.
So, doing the math means I want to lose 35kg or 77lb. I am also going to weigh myself weekly, probably a Friday because that is the day I get home from hospital. In fact, I am off to the shops today to get a u-beaut scale that will be very accurate. I will make a little chart of my progress and stick it on the back of the bathroom door. I will update stats here.
I have read so many great entries in your excellent blogs. So honest, so helpful. Bring it on!!
_____________________________________________________________________________
I have to share my puppy Willow with you. She has just turned eight months and is my favourite thing in the world (my husband knows this). She is a Cavoodle - Poodle x Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, her colouring is called Blenheim. I never thought I would be a 'dog person'. But seriously, I cannot tell you how much I love her. She cracks me up all the time, she has such a personality. This photo is when we got her just a few days before Christmas 09. Have a great day. LJ
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Love, love, love your new puppy.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with the scale issue. It frustrates me to no end..
Good luck with your band adventure.. you will be surrounded by friends near and far!.. stay positive.
Weighing in is a tough decision. I agree it can dominate your life if you do it daily, so if you know that's hard maybe do it weekly or monthly. I do weigh daily because I spent so many years not even knowing what I weighed that I feel like I need to in order to stay accountable. Hopefully one day I can go to weekly.
ReplyDeleteLove your puppy - we are looking at puppies for my daughter and have seen golden doodles, but I've never heard of a Cavdoodle. I need to check them out.
Cute pup! I weigh weekly because my doc says if I have a week that I don't lose then I need an adjustment.
ReplyDeleteI think weekly or monthly (if you can handle going that long!) is great while you are losing weight. If you hop on too often it's easy to get discouraged by the normal ups and downs.
ReplyDeleteHowever - I saw somewhere that when you are trying to maintain it's best weigh daily. I can see how it would help. When I'm not eating great - I'm really good at avoiding the scale (can we say DENIAL!).
My doctor suggested a BMI of 27 for me (I started at 37 like you!) but I'm like you - I want a 'normal' BMI. I don't care if I only just his BMI of 25 - but I want to get there!!!
I am a daily weigher....I was a slave to the scale pre-band and it would really mess with my head. For some reason post-band the good feedback is frequent enough that I have been able to take only the good and ignore any 1-2 pound up wobbles. I now know that I will lose, If the scale goes up it always comes back down. I also know that sometimes I can shrink even when the scale doesn't move.
ReplyDeleteIn all cases its all good and I get to see good news on the scale when it happens and log it on my weight tracker.
I do recommend that you get a weight tracker. I got mine after about 5 months and regret not logging on it sooner.
Good luck with your decisions and band.
Tina
good luck with your surgery! your puppy is too cute
ReplyDeleteI am in love with your cute puppy dog, she is adorable.
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with you, the scale issue is a hard one, I vary from week to week, once a week and then every now and then I'll go through a stage of checking every other day.
How tall are you?
ReplyDeleteI'm 5'2 and my goal weight is 125 pounds. I'm not 100% sure that I can reach that goal...but I think I can. (I'm 140 right now...only 15 pounds away!) It's good to be reasonable, but also don't ever let someone tell you, "no, you can't do that."
I am in love with your dog. So cute. I usually weigh myself everyday, but wish I could only do it once a week.
ReplyDeleteLove, Love, Love your puppster.
ReplyDeleteI'm a daily weigher...keeps me accountable...no way 5, 10, 15, 20, etc. pounds can creep up on you overnight.
I weigh daily if I'm either a: hoping for a big lose or b: making sure I didn't gain. Mostly, I just weigh 2x a week!
ReplyDelete