I'm sure that many people are familiar with the term Yo Yo when it comes to dieting. I sat down the other day and went back over my 'body history' and discovered I have yo yo'd for about 25 years! Cycles of desperate hope, fleeting success then failure......for twenty five years! My poor body - what was going on?! Controlled by a crazy brain obsessed with trying to make me skinny, and therefore attractive and, dare I say, worthy.
I have tried every kind of diet I've come across, spent thousands of dollars on quick fix plans and have wardrobes of clothes in every size.
-
I feel so sorry for that teenage girl that thought she wasn't good enough because of her size. Actually, this forty three year old girl still thinks the same at times. If only I was skinny, then I would.........(insert dream). Sometimes I would be able to overcome the pressure I put on myself, but it was pure will power, and it burnt out quickly.
-
I don't think I was every particularly big. When I look back at photos of when I thought I was 'oh so fat', I'm really just normal and healthy. I faced a lot of bullying issues at high school that I was able to laugh off publicly, but wounded me so deeply in private. I used food to soothe, to comfort myself, and to hide.There is not one part of my life over the last twenty five years that has not been affected negatively by my thoughts and perceptions about my weight.
-
I have lived this tortuous life long enough - I need to acknowledge my past, assess my present, and plan my future. I know the nutrition, exercise and cognitive rules for losing weight off by heart, I have done it so many times before. But this time will be different. This time I will have Lap Band on my side.
-
Oh, I can't wait!
-
LJ
-
3 days to go - DOB = 15JUL10
Good luck in starting your lapband adventure. I love the title of your blog...I'm your boogie man...turn me on... :) I was 14 when that song came out if I remember correctly.
ReplyDeleteTina
You're getting banded this Thursday? How exciting. I will be thinking of you - two hours behind you :) So nice to see another Aussie on board. I'm going to do a shout=out for you, see if we can't get you some more followers. The support is amazing and you will love all the help you get.
ReplyDeleteLook forward to hearing how it all went. :)
Cara
Good luck for Thursday - welcome to the lap band adventure!
ReplyDeleteGoodness - I feel like I could have written this post!!
ReplyDeleteLook forward to welcoming you to the 'club' on Thursday!
All the best :-)
(nerolid)
I think I may have written a post like this just before I was banded.. Good luck with this week.. Will be following you and waiting to see how everything goes xx
ReplyDeleteyou can find me at http://thesecretdiariesofanaussiebander.blogspot.com/
Thanks people!
ReplyDeleteI feel like I've just joined an exclusive, secret club.
Linda sent me to come see you!!
ReplyDeleteBest of luck to you! You will come through the surgery with flying colors! Be sure to take it easy and keep us updated with how you are going!
Great start!!! I finally got off that yo-yo! Can't wait to follow your journey! -BG
ReplyDeleteI'm here:
http://bandgroupiethesweetspot.blogspot.com/
I'm so excited for you. Three days and counting!
ReplyDeleteI was banded May 25. Everything went smoothly. I wouldn't say I had any pain, more just "discomfort" the first few days, but not a big deal. You will be in good hands
What kind of dog do you have? I have a soft-coated Wheaten named Willow. Spoiled rotten!
Hang in there on the pre-op diet and you will be on the other side before you know it!
http://bandedandblogging.blogspot.com/
Congrats on taking the plunge to have the surgery! You're really going to be happy with the results. Good luck...don't be nervous! And let us all know how it goes!!! I've been banded for 17 months now, so if you have any questions, just holler!
ReplyDeleteChristine
www.phoenixrevolution.net
Wow, I'm excited for you as well. I will have my surgery Aug. 10th. I can only imagine how you are feeling right now. I could sympathize with everything you wrote in this post.
ReplyDeleteI just found your post through Cara (aka The Dash). I had surgery this past Friday and believe me when I say the nervousness prior is so much worse than recovery after. If you want to hear details about my experience, I'd love to have you follow me at http://wishingandhopingandprayingforaband.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteI remember the excitement & nervousness I felt waiting for my surgery date. Blogging will be a wonderful tool as you follow that path to a healthier person . If you haven't already, take measurements & before pictures, even you never show anyone else, you will want them later!
ReplyDeleteMy only regret...NOT DOING IT SOONER! Good luck, we are here for you!
ReplyDeleteHello! Just found your blog! Congrats on the upcoming surgery. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm with Nella. I wish I had done this 10 years ago! Good luck on Thursday!! Welcome to the club!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteLove the new birthdate. I yo-yo'ed for 45 years and it never stopped til I got the band. Good luck on the surgery and keep us posted.
ReplyDelete(Sorry I had to delete the last post-too many spelling mistakes).
Linda sent me too.
ReplyDeleteGood luck on Thursday...see you on the other side cupcake.